The Code for America program is not a typical software development contract. Through our fellowship, we recruit the top talent from the tech industry to give a year building civic software that will help cities cut costs, work smarter, and engage more with their citizens. Our program is structured to not only create immediate impact with our projects, but also catalyze long-term, sustainable change for both our cities and our fellows:
Innovative solution to a core problem facing your city.
- We will deliver a shareable web application custom developed to solve your problem.
- Our projects are true Web 2.0 applications, featuring streamlined user interfaces, user-centered design, and cutting-edge technology.
- Cost savings by partnering with Code for America: our participation fee is dramatically less than commercial vendors, at a higher quality.
Talented staff committed to your project and the principles of open gov.
- Our team has local government, tech company, start-up, and corporate experience that collectively adds to a diverse approach to management and execution.
Fellows with the skills to solve complex civic challenges with technology.
- CfA fellows are motivated by a desire to serve the public need. They are skilled UI designers, programmers, researchers, and project and product managers.
Training in agile development methodologies.
- CfA uses agile development methodologies which allow for fast and effective iterative design and testing.
- Your staff will receive hands-on training in this development methodology through knowledge transfer and practical application throughout the program.
Access to an extensive network of industry and thought leaders.
- In late summer or early fall of the preceding year, CfA arranges a City Brainstorm, bringing in contacts from our network such as Tim O’Reilly and Clay Shirky to help think through and further develop the opportunities inherent in the project proposed, and leverage their insights towards a successful development cycle.
- Throughout the program year, these leaders will continue to mentor the fellows and advise on the projects, ensuring cutting-edge and innovative products.
Collaboration with other cities.
- Each participating city has access to the development plans of the other four, and because the projects are all released under an open source license, each can use any application built or modified through the program.
- The program provides opportunities for the cities to set the technical direction of future CfA projects, share challenges and strategies, and set common priorities.