In 2022, child poverty more than doubled when pandemic-era assistance expired, leaving 5.2 million children living below the federal poverty threshold. Still, government programs like SNAP, the Child Tax Credit, and Refundable Tax Credits are some of our most effective anti-poverty tools. If the American Rescue Plan’s Child Tax Credit had continued in 2022, it could have prevented about 3 million children from falling into poverty.
This reaffirms what we always knew to be true: Government benefits are a powerful force for keeping people out of poverty—as long as people can access them.
At Code for America, we believe that:
- Services can be simple, accessible, and easy to use.
- Outcomes can be measurably better.
- Better can cost less.
- We can serve everyone with dignity and respect.
We work shoulder to shoulder with community organizations and governments to build digital tools and services, change policies, and improve programs.
We focus on four key areas to drive the most impact:
- Strengthening the social safety net
- Improving the tax benefits system
- Implementing policy changes that reduce the reach of the criminal legal system
- Empowering communities to create change through local initiatives
To date, we’ve helped 23 million people access over $7 billion worth of food, healthcare, and flexible cash.
Our goals are bigger than numbers: We’re committed to changing systems to alleviate poverty and advance equity. And the time is now. Donate today.
Help make government work well for everyone