Why work at Code for America?
Together, we work to break down barriers to government services and improve people’s experiences with government in meaningful ways.
We’re known for building digital tools, but the work doesn’t stop there. We seek to transform government by showing what’s possible when communities are included in policy and service design. Read more about how we’re building a movement to make lasting impact.
We’re committed to building a team as diverse as the nation we serve.
Our team is made up of people-centered problem solvers: technologists, advocates, storytellers, and organizers from many different backgrounds and communities around the country.
We merge the best parts of tech, nonprofit, and government work.
Our collaborative culture is constantly evolving with the ideas of each new member. We work in a matrixed environment that enables cross-functional collaboration from all levels of the organization.
We strive to be inclusive and create a place where people can grow and share their ideas.
For example, our product development teams use pair programming, daily stand-ups, blameless postmortems, and user research to ensure our teams are on track to do their best work.
We come together to learn from each other.
We reflect on our work every Friday at our Weekly All Hands meeting, and once a quarter for an All Staff gathering. We also have a number of employee resource groups, including our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion committee, a monthly LGBTQIA+ meetup, our Earthtones group for BIPOC employees, and more!
In addition to each team’s unique skills and approaches, our organization fosters cross-functional collaboration to find the best solutions as quickly as possible.
Product and Tech
Build the services and tools that drive important, lasting change
Programs and Policy
Partner with government and communities to make sure people’s needs are met
Tell the story of our work, build an empathetic environment, and amplify our impact
We’re remote-first, we work hard, and we care about work-life balance.
- Fully distributed workplace—our team is based all over the country
- Flexible schedules that accommodate childcare and caretaking responsibilities
- Meeting hours between 10 a.m.–3 p.m. Pacific Time
- Company-wide “no-meeting Thursdays”
- Equipment allowance and cell phone stipend to support remote work
If you do plan to be in the San Francisco Bay Area, we welcome you to our work space in downtown San Francisco! We work hard to ensure that our office space is comfortable, collaborative, and inclusive.
- Open floor plan and conference rooms, fully equipped for solo and group work
- Plenty of snacks and drinks to keep you fueled
- Bike room for those who cycle to work
- Fully accessible for people who use wheelchairs or require other disability accommodations
Equity in hiring
We are committed to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in all of our work, including our hiring practices.
- We believe including the communities impacted by problems is the best way to solve them, and we work to build diverse talent pools and continuously improve on our equitable hiring practices.
- We challenge outdated hiring practices and provide candidates with as much transparency as possible. This includes sharing each role’s hiring process, salary bands, and growth targets.
- We follow a structured interview process with predefined stages to ensure consistency and fairness. There may be more or less variation of stages depending on the role.
Our hiring process
We review your application
A recruiter reaches out for a phone screen
You complete a technical screen or an at-home task
You’re interviewed by the hiring manager and the team
We do reference checks while you do a final interview with our CEO
We send you an offer
The order may vary depending on the role.
Benefits and support
- Competitive salaries
- 20 paid holidays, including an all-staff break at the end of the year and Summer Fridays
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance with some plans offering 100% premium coverage for employees
- 401K program with 3% match
- $1,000 reimbursable professional development budget per calendar year, and access to continuous learning and growth resources
- Flexible working hours, and we try to hold all internal meetings between 10am–3pm Pacific Time
- One-time stipend to support remote workspace setup
- Life and disability insurance
- Access to legal and financial counseling sessions in the event of an emergency
- Resources for parents, caretakers, and pet owners
- Wide array of additional perks, including access to mental health apps and discount offers for travel, entertainment, and dining
Apply for one of our open positions.
Code for America does not discriminate against any person on any basis including, but not limited to, sex, gender and gender expression, race, color, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, religion, disability or veterans status. We particularly encourage members of groups traditionally underrepresented in technology and government to apply.